The St Arnaud Visitor Information Centre is conveniently located in Napier Street, directly opposite the magnificent Queen Mary Gardens. St Arnaud is well known for its heritage buildings adorned with delicate wrought iron lacework.
The Queen Mary Gardens and Angwin Memorial Gates, 1-9 Napier Street, St. Arnaud, make a highly significant aesthetic and visual contribution to the predominantly Victorian and Federation streetscape. Established in 1884, the gardens were laid out in 1889 and were situated on the former St. Arnaud water reserve that had been created in 1864. The Gardens have significance as a 19th century, predominantly intact cultural landscape in the centre of the St. Arnaud township.
Pioneer Park is aesthetically significant at a LOCAL level. It demonstrates original and early design qualities of landscaping of the inter war (1920 -1939) period.
Pioneer Park is historically significant at a LOCAL level. It is associated with quartz reef mining in St Arnaud and especially with the successful and long operating Lord Nelson Mine. It is also of significance for its links to the work undertaken by the Country women's Association to beautify the area.
For a long time Donald was a very large rail centre where trains refueled and drivers changed over on the long trip between Melbourne and Mildura. To recognize the importance of rail to Donald, a steam locomotive was placed in a park near the railway yards for the enjoyment of the public. Many local children visit the train and play on it, while travelers passing through find it a great place to stop for a breather and let the children climb over it.